The McIntosh Family and The Windermere Valley
From 1946 to 1950 Duncan, Douglas’ father and his brother-in-law Danny,
were successful owner/ operators of the Big Bend Hotel in Golden, B.C.,
which still exists today.
Duncan, Dorothy and family relocated to the Bowness area of Calgary where
he and Dorothy owned and operated the Bow Theatre. In 1952 they moved to
Radium Hot Springs and purchased the original C.P.R. Lodge and Bungalows.
For the next fifteen years the McIntosh family operated this popular
vacation spot overlooking the Radium Hot Springs pools. In 1964 the
bungalows were relocated to Fairmont Hot Springs and at that time
construction began on the new Radium Hot Springs Lodge. In 1965, with
Premier W.A.C. Bennett in attendance, the Lodge was opened and it was at
this time Doug came to work for his parents.
It was during this period that Duncan took up serious flying and with the
assistance of his sons Doug and Bruce and others, built the Radium airport
(jokingly called the Radium International).
As Radium continued to expand it became evident to Duncan that other
attractions were necessary. This resulted in the building, with partner
Steve Capowski, of the Radium Drive Inn theatre.
In 1969, along with several other businessmen in the valley, the
McIntosh’s purchased shares in the newly expanding
Panorama ski area where
Doug served as a Director. During this exciting period the first ski
packages were developed between Radium Lodge and Panorama and many people
in the Valley, such as Roger Madson worked towards the creation of winter
business in the Valley. Doug and Bruce, working with Roger Madson’s
company and Hans Gmoser Canadian Mountain Holidays, were successful in
creating ski packages for glacier skiing in the Purcell Mountains. Roger
later moved this operation to Panorama, where it successfully operates
today as R.K. Heli-skiing.
In 1972 Doug and Bruce
purchased Radium Hot Springs Golf and Country Club (a small nine hole golf
course) and assembled additional surrounding land to start construction on
a first class destination resort, as well a two residential subdivisions
and two condominium developments.
1979 saw the completion of the new eighteen hole golf course and clubhouse
facilities as well as thirty condominiums, clubhouse and related
facilities. Radium Hot Springs Lodge was sold at this time, with a year
round occupancy rating of 89%.
September 1982 was the official opening of the fully completed Radium
|Dining room and cocktail lounge|
|Sports complex with racquet courts, swimming pool,
hot tub, fitness room|
During this period the Resort prospered, catering to
business from the Pacific Northwest and markets from all over North
America, including international visitors. Golf holiday packages were
introduced at this time and contributed greatly to the overall success of
In October 1989 Douglas sold the Resort to Chotokan, a Japanese hotel
During his thirty years in the hospitality business
Douglas’s Industry credentials include:
Ski Marketing Advisory Council of British Columbia
Tourist Industry Association of British Columbia
|Elected founding President-BCRMVA, Tourism Rockies|
Douglas still serves on the current board of Kootenay
Rockies. Currently he is a Director of Lake Windermere Pointe, a
development being built on the shores of Lake Windermere and President of
the Radium Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce.